Posterous Shutting Down: How To Move Your Posterous Site To WordPress
The popular Posterous blogging service is shutting down on April 30, 2013. Now is the time to move your Posterous site to WordPress. Don’t worry, this process doesn’t have to be a pain in the ass. In fact, we’ve created a plugin that makes it very simple, no matter how large your Posterous import may be.
Our Posterous Importer Advanced plugin is a free migration tool for Posterous blogs. This is the best and most advanced Posterous importer available. Not only does it import posts, comments, tags, and attachments, it also grabs embeds and audio so you don’t lose any of your media.
How To Get Your Posterous Site Backup File
You don’t have to have be technically inclined in order to move your site to WordPress. Just follow these simple instructions outlined by Posterous to get your WXR backup file:
- Step 1: Go to http://posterous.com/#backup.
- Step 2: Click to request a backup of your Space by clicking “Request Backup” next to your Space name.
- Step 3. When your backup is ready, you’ll receive an email.
- Step 4: Return to http://posterous.com/#backup to download a .zip file.
How To Migrate Your Site From Posterous To WordPress
Moving your content into WordPress can be done in two easy steps.
Step 1: Add the Posterous Importer Advanced Plugin to WordPress
First, install the Posterous Importer Advanced plugin. This will only work with self-hosted WordPress installations. Most hosting companies have a quick install that you can use to get WordPress up and running with one click.
After you have a basic install up and running, go to Dashboard >> Plugins >> Add New and install the Posterous Importer Advanced plugin.
Step 2: Import Your Posterous Content Into WordPress
After the plugin is activated, you’ll find the importer at Tools >> Import.
Click on Posterous. Now you can upload the WXR (.xml) file you got when you backed up your Posterous site.
Now, relax while all your content is automatically imported. Congratulations, you’ve successfully migrated your Posterous site and entered the world of WordPress!
Important Notice: After April 30th, Posterous is shutting down its API and this plugin will no longer work.
Posterous Importer Advanced has been added to our growing list of free plugins in the WordPress plugin repository. We’ve tested this plugin extensively with our Edublogs network and have made a number of changes to make sure it is optimized to scale to very large imports. Get your site migrated before it’s too late!
- How to Migrate from Posterous to WordPress Need to move your blog from Posterous to WordPress? We’re…
- I’m Going To Miss Posterous A few days ago Twitter acquired Posterous in a move…
- How to Move Your WordPress Store From WP E-Commerce to MarketPress Did you know that the MarketPress plugin has a product…